Chumash Pow wow

This past April I attended the Chumash pow wow. It was so fun!

My favorite activity at the Pow Wow was the man telling Chumash stories. One of the stories was about a fox and some butterflies.


At the Pow wow there was singing and putting money at people's feet. My favorite things about the dancing and singing performances were the giant headdresses. They were so big!

==========================================================================


I went to this amazing event because we were reading the book Badger Claws of Ojai.
==========================================================================



What was your favorite part of Badger Claws
 What cultural performances have you been to?

Comments

  1. Hi Pascal,
    I haven't read "Badger Claws" (although I would like to), but I have been to a number of cultural performances. I think that the most memorable is a festival called "La Tirana" in the north of Chile in South America. The festival centers around the ideas of atonement (actions you take to show that you feel sorry for the bad things you have done) and forgiveness. The people make offerings of physical sacrifice to the diety (both a physical statue and the goddess it represents) and ask for her forgiveness. Often, this physical sacrifice is crawling on hands and knees for miles as "pilgrims" arriving at the festival!! After all of the pilgrims have entered the festival, there is dancing and rejoicing, music and food, as the pilgrims and celebrators feel rejuvenated after shedding the burden of their bad deeds. One day, I'll show you pictures from the celebration!!

    I'm so proud of your blogging and even more amazed at your curious and inquisitive mind. Keep it up!!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn
    That's a great idea for a post that I know (knew) nothing about. I really like how you included the photographs with your report because it made me see some of the amazing things that were happening - I couldn't believe the detail in the costume.

    We have cultural festivals here in New Zealand and we have a Kapa Haka group, thats a group thats our Maori cultural group which would be the closet thing that I would think it would compare too. Did they have food there for sale?

    Mr Webb and Room Three, Auroa Primary School, Taranaki, New Zealand
    mrwebbauroa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quarantine Queen

Welcome to My Blog!

Read for the Win!